A more beautiful three days of picturesque fall weather couldn’t have been had in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin for the 57th running of SCCA’s National Championship Runoffs® October 9-11 at Road America. The 4.048-mile, 14-turn circuit produced a ton of great racing for 577 entrants who competed across 26 different car classes, and several memorable moments were created. Highlights included six drivers who managed to claim SCCA Super Sweep honors, rookie Runoffs attendees who grabbed victory on their first time out, a couple father-son duos who shared podium appearances, and one driver who managed two National Championships.
Start planning now for the 58th annual National Championship Runoffs being held Sept. 25-Oct. 3, 2021, at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That will be only the second time in history SCCA has conducted its end-of-year, winner-take-all extravaganza at the fabled circuit.
Shortly, on-demand videos from each race will be available to watch for free at SCCA.com. But in the meantime, below are written recaps for each of this year’s 26 races.
2020 Runoffs Recaps (full results found here)
- American Sedan®: Eaton Goes Back to Back for American Sedan Wins
- B-Spec: Salyer Takes B-Spec Championship with Last-Lap Move
- E Production: Flag to Flag for Prather EP Championship
- F Production: Chima Chimes in with Runoffs F Production Win
- H Production: Sargis Breaks Away for H Production Title
- Formula 500: McMahan Back to Back for Formula 500 Crown at Road America
- Formula Atlantic®: Brockman Honors Father with Close Formula Atlantic Win
- Formula Continental®: Allaer Awesome in Formula Continental Runoffs Win
- Formula Enterprises 2: Snyder Wins Hard-Fought FE2 Championship
- Formula F: Sikes Claims FF Championship Following Stewards Action
- Formula Vee®: Jennerjahn Strategizes En Route to FV Championship
- Formula X: Loomis Dominates Inaugural FX National Championship
- GT-1: Ave Wins Second GT-1 Runoffs Championship
- GT-2: Aquilante Acquires GT-2 Runoffs Championships
- GT-3: GT-3 Runoffs Victory Makes 10 for Lewis
- GT-Lite: Shadowen Hunts Down Another GT-Lite Win
- Prototype 1: French Family Shares P1 Podium, Son James Champion
- Prototype 2: Gyann Takes P2 in Dramatic Last Lap Upset
- Spec Miata: Pardus Wins Wild Spec Miata Race, Claims Super Sweep
- Spec Racer Ford Gen3: Sak Scores Super Sweep with SRF3 Runoffs Win
- Super Touring® Lite: Moser Earns Super Sweep in Super Touring Light
- Super Touring® Under: Azan Earns First Career Runoffs Win in STU
- Touring 1: Touring 1’s Boden First Winner at 2020 Runoffs
- Touring 2: Boden Family Shares Podium in T2
- Touring 3: Mast Owns Touring 3 in Commanding Flag-to-Flag Win
- Touring 4: Borden Takes Touring 4 Runoffs Win and Super Sweep
The Runoffs, which caps the Summit Racing Equipment SCCA Road Racing program each year, has evolved into what is now commonly agreed to be the pinnacle of American motorsports. Since 1964, SCCA has crowned national champions with the winner-take-all, single race Runoffs format through dozens of separate races over three days.
The Sports Car Club of America®, Inc., founded in 1944, is a 67,500-member motorsports organization that incorporates all facets of autocross, rally and road racing at both Club and professional levels. With headquarters in Topeka, Kansas, the SCCA annually sanctions over 2,000 events through its 115 Regions and subsidiary divisions. Much of the SCCA’s activities are made possible with support from the following Official Partners: Hagerty, the Official Insurance Partner of SCCA; Hawk Performance, the Official Brake Products of SCCA; Sunoco, the Official Fuel of SCCA; and Tire Rack, the Official Tire Retailer of SCCA. To learn more, please visit www.scca.com.
Photo Credit: Jon Krolewicz/SCCA Staff